Insects are attracted to food and water and aren’t opposed to entering your home to find it. If you find yourself overrun with these creepy, crawly creatures you may be looking for the best ways to keep pests away from your house. While there are a host of insecticides designed to do the trick there are plenty of ways to get rid of bugs at home without resorting to harmful chemicals. Try these natural ways to get rid of bugs at home
Eliminate Sources of Food and Water
Every living creature needs food and water to survive and that includes insect pests. Some, like mosquitoes and flies, depend on water for breeding, too. That makes removing sources of food and water the first step for how to get rid of pests in house
- Get rid of standing water around your yard, on your deck and in crawl spaces and basements. Empty out old plant pots, check the hollow in old tires and get rid of any unused containers that can collect rainwater.
- Remove any garden or yard debris near your home. This includes scrap wood, brush piles, stacked wood and other scrap piles. These provide a breeding ground for insects.
- Plant flowers or shrubs at least four feet from the foundation of your home.
- Cut or mow the grass and keep it well-manicured. Tall grass and weeds provide insects with places to hide and breed.
Clean and Sanitize Your Living Area
Some insect pests, like ants, invade the home in search of food. Once they find a source, the ants take it back to the colony, leaving a trail for other ants to follow back to the food source. A thorough cleaning and blocking the entrance holes is one of the best ways to keep pests away from your house.
Observe the insects to discover their entry point. This usually occurs around door or windows, through cracks in the foundation or even under the door.
- Seal the entry point with weather stripping and seal cracks and crevices with a sealant.
- Remove any sources of food, such a grease, food crumbs and bits of sweets. Wash down counters, clean the stove and sweep and scrub the floors. Pay special attention to areas around pet food, under appliances and around the trash can. Keeping the kitchen clean and free of food residue is important.
- Take care of any leaks or drips around appliances and pipes. Just a few drops of water, or moist wood, is enough to attract insects. Use exhaust fans or install a dehumidifier if your home has an issue with excess moisture.
Use Natural Insect Repellents
Using natural insect repellents and remedies around the home eliminates risks to small children and pets making them one of the best ways to keep pests away from your house.
- Use basil leaves, mint leaves or cucumber peels to deter ants from coming inside the home. They can be used fresh or dried and simply need to be placed in areas where you have observed ants, such as the corners of cabinets.
- Sprinkle cornmeal in areas where ants frequent. The ants will carry it home to the colony. Because they cannot digest it, the colony will eat the cornmeal and die.
Spiders have the amazing ability to taste with their feet and will hurry on their merry way if you coat areas they frequent with tastes they don’t like.
- Citrus oils repel spiders. Spray it in cracks and around areas you have observed webs.
- Peppermint oil also repels spiders and can be used safely around children and pets.
- Many insects are repelled by coffee grounds making it ideal for adding to potted plants on the deck or sprinkling over the soil near seating areas. There’s no need to waste fresh grounds for this as the used coffee grounds work just as well.
Plant herbs and plants that repel insects
Planting herbs near the house, or in big pots on the deck, can also help to deter insects around the home. Although they won’t chase all bugs away, their pungent scent does work as a deterrent. Grow, mint, basil, lemon balm or lemon scented geraniums to keep insects away and add a pleasing scent to your favorite seating area.
Let’s Get Started
TEXT US FOR A FREE QUOTE
We make it easy to get an accurate pest control quote and to schedule your service when it’s convenient for you.